Describe your favorite piece of clothing. You should say:
Where you got it When you got it
How often you wear it
And explain why it is your favorite clothing.
Well, I would like to tell you about my pair of ripped jeans which is the favorite fashion item among all the things I have in my wardrobe. You know, I bought it with an unbelievably cheap price a long time ago in a second-hand clothing store. At that point, ripped jeans were really popular and everybody in my school was keen on them. So, whenever I put on jeans, I felt fashionable and really stood out from the crowd.
After a while, when the trend changed, I still refused to abandon my pair of jeans. I wore them almost everywhere from home to school and only changed them for formal events such as a ceremony or a wedding. Sometimes I even slept in my jeans because it was so comfortable.
Actually, it is quite easy to understand why I fancy jeans so much. First, it instantly creates a modern and active look for wearers. Second, jeans are easy to mix and match, I can wear jeans with numerous types of shirt without worrying about looking ridiculous in other people’s eyes.
And lastly, jeans’ material is so tough that it cannot be torn apart, so I can use them for a long time and save a great deal of money. All in all, I love my jeans and cannot go through a day without them. I think such item should be made trendy again so that the youngsters nowadays can get to know its awesomeness.
- How important are clothes and fashion to you? [Why/Why not?] Clothes and fashion are not that important to me. I always prefer comfortable clothes but making sure that I’d look presentable and clean. I am more of being practical in choosing what I wear.
- Do people in your country like to go shopping?
Absolutely, there is no doubt that people in China like shopping a lot especially young ladies. They go shopping almost every day, as a matter of fact, this has become their addiction because ones they see something attractive they will buy it in an instant or some just go for window shopping. Take me as an example, I often buy something at the shopping mall whenever I see something that attracts me. On the other hand, shopping is a stress reliever for most people. Let’s say for instance my aunt, whenever she is stress or gloomy she will buy a new pair of shoes. She is a shoe addict and a new pair of shoes can enlighten her day.
- What kinds of clothing do people in your country like to wear?
Fashion is very essential for millennials as it represents their lifestyle and well-being. As you know, in Vietnamese young people normally wear skirts or shorts and tank tops, they usually show much of their skin because to them they find it cute and sexy. I have a thought that, this fashion trend they have is like a revenge of their strict custom as they are known to be conservative especially in ancient times. On the contrary, adults dress according to their age; they wear casual dress or shirt and jeans with a sense of style. Most likely, you can see them wearing branded bags or shoes to showcase their sense of fashion.
- How often do people in your country buy clothes?
Impulsive buying is very common for Vietnamese. Can you believe that people in my country usually buy clothes almost every week or once in two weeks. This is due to the fact that in Vietnam you can buy affordable clothes in the shopping mall or online. Once they get attracted to a certain piece of clothing they will just purchase it in an instance. Another reason for this is because clothes have become a basic necessity especially for women. Especially that we’re influenced with fashion industry, more and more women are too curious about how they look, being fashionable is just part of their well-being
- How do people choose what style of clothing to buy?
Many people buy clothing because it is a new style or it’s a color that they like. Often people will buy something because it looks like what a favorite movie star or singer wears. Other people buy clothes that suit them, or that they will wear most often. Other people just buy clothes because they are functional.
- Do you think people enjoy buying clothes
I think many people do. Living in today’s material world where books are judged by cover, both literally and figuratively, many people are concerned about how they look to others. So shopping for clothes has become an increasingly popular hobby especially among young people.
- Do you think the brand of clothing is important?
Personally I don’t really care about the brand of clothing as long as what I buy is good quality. Famous brands are usually too expensive for me so I will rarely buy them. Often I can find inexpensive brands that are just as good a quality and very nice. Of course here in China you can get brand name clothes at a very cheap price.
- Why do some people go together with other people when shopping for clothes? Well, like I’ve just said, shopping in our society is more of a hobby than a task to be done, and most hobbies aren’t meant to be enjoyed alone. Besides, when you are shopping for clothes, it sure helps if there’s someone to tell you how you look in those clothes when u try them on. And since you can’t really count on the opinion of the shop assistants because their main concern is the number of sales, you can certainly use an objective opinion from a friend or a family member who tags along.
- Why do some people buy brand-name clothes?
Many people buy brand name clothing because they like the style. However, some people simply want their clothes to last a long time, so they buy a certain brand of clothing that is known for its good quality. Other people buy brand name clothing because they feel it make them look more stylish and hip. Some people just like to have that name on their clothing. I think it might make them feel important.
- How different are the clothes you wear now from those you wore 10 years ago? Well, I can say that there hasn’t been much change with the clothes I wear now with that of about 10 years ago. I still wear the regular jeans and shirt for casual days or formal clothes on business events. But, I think since the trend has changed, the kind of these basic clothing has also changed for me, especially when it comes to the style of the jeans and shirts. I used to wear straight-cut jeans but nowadays, I wear contemporary style such as slim-fit clothes.
- What do you think the clothes we wear say something about us?
At times, I think the clothes we wear may show part of our personality or status. For example, clothing may determine the kind of job a person has. For some, it may be a tool for expression. Some could be stylish and fashionable which may reflect their personality as being creative.
- Do men and women have the same shopping habits when they buy clothes?
No, they have very different shopping habits. Often men will shop less and only because they need new clothes. They often do not buy much, and they will spend less money on what they buy. Actually I think that they dread shopping and probably would rather go to the dentist.
Women buy clothes more often and they usually pay more for their clothing. Often they will buy new clothes because they want to be in style. I think women also don’t mind spending money as long as it’s their boyfriend’s or husband’s.
- What’s the effect of fashion industry on the current fashion?
Wow, this is a very broad question. I obviously think that the fashion industry plays an important role in shaping people’s mindset towards fashion and influencing their buying behavior through social media, but i can’t really tell how it happens or to what extent people’s ideas of fashion are influenced by the fashion industry.