Describe a favorite sport which you like to watch. You should say:
What it is
When you watch it How you watch it
And explain why you like watching it.
Well, I would like to talk about football, which is my favorite sport of all time and how I enjoy watching it so much. You know, football is the most popular type of sport nowadays and it has millions of fans all over the world. I fell in love with football when my father first taught me as a way to exercise when I was small. Ever since, I have become a huge fan of this sport. I spend all my free time in watching football matches and practicing it. Especially, I can never miss a match of my favorite football team, Manchester United if it is on TV even if I have to delay all my schoolwork.
Usually, my father and I would watch football on the old TV in our living room. Both of us are crazy about football and talkative so we have a lot to share. During a match, we listen to the other’s comments on the players’ performance and discuss the strategies of each team. To me, this is not only a chance to let my hair down after hard-working hours but also a time to strengthen the relationship with my father. Watching matches is also a great way for me to learn new moves and apply them into my real games with friends at school.
You know, I even dream of being a professional footballer someday.
- What sports are popular in your country? = What kinds of sports are popular in your country now, but weren’t popular 20 years ago?
I think that sports like rollerblading and snowboarding have become very popular in the last few years. There has also been an interest in extreme sports where people have to overcome certain natural obstacles or compete with others in different disciplines
- What are the major differences between ‘extreme sports’ and ordinary sports? Personally speaking, what sets dangerous sports from normal ones is the degree of fear people feel. Doing sports like bungee jumping or sky diving can be said to suit the courageous men only, and those cowards can hardly imagine themselves taking up such sports. However, extreme activities like these can be a great opportunities for us to experience different feelings and cultivate our self-confidence. Just think of yourselves moving at top speed in a rollercoaster, all your stress is released, and you can feel more confident in yourselves in real life as you have accomplish something extraordinary like that.
- What do you think of expensive sports?
I have no say in this regard. It simply depends on the tastes of those playing them, and if they can afford to take up that sporting activity, it is not a big deal. For example, the rich usually play golf or tennis and a poor person like me would take no issue with it. Having said that, those expensive kinds of sports give people a sense of respect and admiration from others.
- Why do people dislike playing sports?
To the best of my knowledge, people in the modern world are too preoccupied at the workplace and hardly enough time is given for leisure pursuits like taking up a good sport. I can perfectly understand that they are unable to practice certain sports activities out of their own will. However, for those who basically hate sports for its own sake, I think they must be suffering from some mental illnesses, because as a normal person, everyone wants to stay in the pink, build up muscles or have a slim body.
- Do you think people should be encouraged to try some of these extreme sports?
Why do you think some people like to do these dangerous activities?
I personally feel that we shouldn’t encourage people to have a go at extreme sports. The simple explanation for this can be the poor safety conditions in some developing countries, which means that accidents can take place anytime. I have witnessed several cases on the social networks about a child falling from the rollercoaster due to the old seatbelt which broke out of the blue. On top of this, it would be hard to change people’s mind if they just insist on not doing something. At the end of the day, it is an individual’s own decision whether to get himself involved in what I would rather call “dangerous” sports.
- Do you like (or. would you like) to do a rather dangerous sporting activity? Frankly speaking, I’m not a courageous person and would love peaceful activities rather than thrilling ones. Besides, the poor safety conditions in some developing countries mean that accidents can take place anytime. I have witnessed several cases on the social networks about a child falling from the rollercoaster due to the old seatbelt which broke out of the blue. So in a nutshell, I prefer to be set in my own way. Truthfully speaking, I am dead tired after returning home from work so I can hardly gather my strength to participate in any kinds of sporting activities in the evening or at night. Instead, I’d rather listen to music to let my hair down or simply do some body stretching to relax myself
- What are the benefits of playing sports?
Clearly, taking part in sports is greatly beneficial in several ways. The first merit is that we can keep our body in better shape and relieve our minds quite effectively. For example, when you join in a football match, you have to exercise your body. This builds up your muscles and by sweating profusely, you burn up some kilos and it helps your blood to circulate better.Apart from those health benefits, with your participation in sports, you can broaden your social circle by meeting people of different backgrounds, as well as cultivating team spirit and cooperation skills.
- What’s the difference between playing sports on your own and playing sports in a group?
It is quite common knowledge that sports come in a variety of forms like martial arts in which you can practice on your own, or some sports which require you to play with a group. It depends on a person really. If you are an extroverted guy/girl, you would prefer a match of football or volleyball as you can both exercise your body and have casual talks with others during the game. However, in case you are an introvert, you can do some solo sports like running, swimming, bicycling or martial arts. You don’t have to worry about anyone else other than yourself. And through these individual sports, you can learn some of the greatest qualities such as perseverance, discipline and endurance, which can be hardly found in team sports
- Do children need to exercise?
Obviously, children in modern society need plenty of physical exercise. It is not surprising to see that with the fast paced lifestyle and increased study pressure, many students fail to manage time to take part in certain forms of sports to work out their body.
Therefore, they end up suffering from various health problems like obesity or shortsightedness. It is my recommendation that teachers and parents should encourage them to join some sports to help them relax their minds and build up their bodies as health is the most important asset of a person.
- Why do people need to play sports?
Needless to say, taking part in sports is greatly beneficial in several ways. The first merit is that we can keep our body in better shape and relieve our minds quite effectively. For example, when you join in a football match, you have to exercise your body. This builds up your muscles and by sweating profusely, you burn up some kilos and it helps your blood to circulate better. Apart from those health benefits, with your participation in sports, you can broaden your social circle by meeting people of different backgrounds, as well as cultivating team spirit and cooperation skills.
- What are the most popular outdoor sports in Vietnam?
There are a number of popular sporting activities which are held outside the house in my country, like volleyball, badminton and basketball. However, the kind of sports that attracts people of almost all ages is football. People from the young to the old not only watch football matches on TV, but also participate in this game actively and enthusiastically. It is no exaggerating but people will gather at a football field and enjoy a good match together whenever they find time.
- Do Vietnamese people like to play indoor sports or outdoor sports?
It depends greatly on how old a person is really. To support my claim, small kids are likely to be into indoor games like indoor football or swimming whereas adults tend to derive more pleasure from outdoor sports activities such as football or volleyball. This is due to the fact that today parents are more protective of their children so they encourage them to take part in indoor sports to protect their children from bad injuries or serious accidents. On the other hand, adults would love the social interaction and team spirit from sports matches played outside the house, particularly after a stressful week of hard work.
- What are the benefits for children to play outdoor games?
There’re a number of benefits a child can obtain from taking part in games played outside the house. The first one is that playing games outdoors is a form of exercise that helps children to increase their physical fitness. By running around and kicking a ball in a match of football, for instance, the small kids can develop their muscle strength and flexibility. The second plus point is that small players can hone many skills and qualities through their participation in outdoor games. By interacting and socializing with their teammates, they can be more active and have a chance to get to know not only their peers but also the surrounding environment.As a result, they have more coordination and cooperation skills.
- Do you think sports can help people improve their health?
I can’t agree with you more. Sporting activities are a highly recommended way to keep fit and get into a better shape. Through sports like football or basketball, the body sweat profusely, which helps us lose weight and makes the blood circulate more properly. Besides, people can cultivate team spirit and enlarge their social circle through participating in sports.
- Other possible questions:
What is the difference between doing sports in a gym and in other places?
Is there any sportsman whom you admire? Why?
Will sports events and sports programs on TV increase in the future? Why?