Do you think pollution is a big problem nowadays?
Yes, definitely. Air and water pollution are huge issues in the modern world… The air pollution problem is especially graveSerious, severe. due to the increasing amount of exhaust fumesGases, ejected from an engine as waste products., which are produced by cars, and result into a poor air qualityThe cleanliness of the air we breathe..
What do you do to prevent our environment from pollution?
A lot of things… First of all, I don’t litterTo throw rubbish in inappropriate places.. Also, my family and me try to buy only environmentally friendlyProducts that do not harm the environment. goods whenever we can… And finally, I try to save trees… I print on both sides of every sheet of paper I use and use any left over white space to scribble notes.
Have you ever participated in any environmental events?
Yes, of course! Last year I participated in an event in my hometown, which was all about preserving nature… We were taught about the greenhouse effectThe heating of the atmosphere due to the carbon dioxide and other gases. and I learned about many endangered speciesA category of animals or plans that migh become extinct.in the world.
Now, have a look at the card and prepare a monologue.
Describe an environmental problem or event. You should say:
- What is it
- Where is it happening
- What problems does it cause
I would like to talk about global warmingAn increase in temperature all-over the world, as a result of greenhouse effect.. In my opinion, it is a big, if not the biggest, problem that we are facing nowadays. The main reason of global warming is the greenhouse effectHeating of the atmosphere due to the carbon dioxide and other gases…. Nowadays people are producing excessive amounts of greenhouse gases, mostly by burning fossil fuels. These gases let sunlight in, which warms the Earth, and then block that heat from leaving… That breaks the delicate natural balance and causes our planet to warm… As global warming changes the climate on the whole planet, it affects all countries in the world and causes many serious problems… For example, global warming causes melting of glaciersThe process of icebergs’ melting., which in turn raises the sea-level… Eventually, coastal areas are flooding and agriculture is damaged unless appropriate measures are taken… As it is a worldwide problem, I think that only joint efforts will help us to overcome this issue.
In which way do people damage our planet?
Er… In my point of view, we damage the Earth in many ways. Just take a look at all those factories that empty toxic wastePoisonous rubbish, produced by industrial processes. into rivers and lakes… People also destroy a great deal of natural areas in search of fossil fuelsEnergy resources like gas and oil…. Not to mentionpoachingKilling animals illegally. and endangering of wild animals.
Do you think that the environmental situation will improve in the nearest future?
Yes, I would like to believe so… People are getting more and more aware of the major environmental issues that we’re dealing with nowadays… I hope that we will get back to natureLive a life that is closer to nature. and start caring about our planet more.
- air quality: the cleanliness of the air we breathe.Due to the opening of a new factory nearby, the air quality here went down.
- bio-diversity: a diversity in nature, among plants and animals. Nowadays, we suffer the loss of bio-diversity.
- endangered species: a category of animals or plans that might become extinct. White rhinos are endangered species. There are only 5 white rhinos left in the world.
- environmentally friendly: products that do not harm the environment. I try to use only environmentally friendly goods in order to preserve the nature.
- exhaust fumes: gases, ejected from an engine as waste products. I bought an electric car to avoid producing exhaust fumes when I drive.
- fossil fuels: energy resources like gas and oil. Gas is one of the most well-known fossil fuels.
- global warming: an increase in temperature all-over the world, as a result of greenhouse effect.Global worming is a very serious problem that our society is dealing with.
- greenhouse effect: heating of the atmosphere due to the carbon dioxide and other gases. Greenhouse effect causes global warming.
- melting of glaciers: the process of icebergs’ melting. Melting of glaciers increases the sea-level.
- natural disaster: an event like an earthquake, hurricane etc. I experienced a natural disaster in the form of an earthquake last year.
- paper recycling: the processes of reprocessing waste paper for reuse. It was found that paper recycling causes 35% less water pollution and 74% less air pollution than making virgin paper.
- poacher: one who kills or takes wild animals illegally. Poaching is considered a violation of hunting rules and impedes wildlife conservation.
- toxic waste: poisonous rubbish, produced by industrial processes. Many factories in my city dump toxic waste into rivers and lakes.
- to become extinct: to stop existing. Dinosaurs became extinct may centuries ago.
- to be under threat: to be in danger of becoming extinct. White Rhinos are under the threat of becoming extinct.
- to dry up: to have all the water drained away. The small river in my hometown dried up this summer due to the enormous heat.
- to get back to nature: live a life that is closer to nature. My friend decided to leave his boring job and move to the countryside to get back to nature.
- to litter: to throw rubbish in inappropriate places. I always try to find a garbage bin to throw my trash in. I don’t like to litter.